Friday, September 20, 2013

Working In Series: The Tree of Life and The Giving Tree

Tree of Life
Hello, it is so good to be back again, blogging. I have been spending lots of time in the studio creating new pieces for an upcoming show. Great way to escape the heat outdoors for sure. My design wall is currently filled with three different series that I have been working on and I am having a great time moving from one series to another. Some of you may remember The Giving Tree that I created last year. The response to this piece was so wonderful that I have decided to create a mini series of art done in this vein. The Tree of Life is the second piece in the series and was made in a similar style but with a higher contrast that produces a brighter gem stone like quality. Here, the sky is much lighter in color and therefore allows the colors to come forward in a different way. Part of working in series demands that the pieces all have cohesiveness while still maintaining the integrity of each one. In other words, they are the same style yet each one has its own identity, so to speak.
The Giving tree
Tree of Life
I believe that I have accomplished this task through the second piece in the series. the third one still to come focusses on the tree up close and also has it's own unique voice and is set in a different format. I love the idea of playing with contrast, color and pattern to create new pieces. That being said, The Giving Tree was mounted on a black painted canvas while The Tree of Life was set on a gray colored canvas in order to tone the contrast down a bit. I love this new piece and am hoping it will be received well. Can't wait to bring the third one into play but for now, I am headed to the studio to breathe life into the second set of 3 dimensional flowers still awaiting final assembly. I have to say for me, I love working back and forth from one series to another. I think it allows me to keep a fresh eye on each one while bringing something unique to each individual piece. I hope you have enjoyed this blog post on working in series. Thank you for stopping by. Please leave a comment. I would love to hear your thoughts!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This series is so dramatic. I love the back and white backgrounds and the colorful trees. Can't wait to see the third.

Barb Forrister said...

Thanks, Dee! I am having so much fun with this series. So many possibilities to explore in this style. Can't wait to finish the next piece. Ideas are already percolating in my mind for the next two after that. What do they say? So many ideas, so little time...Guess that is good. At least the muse is with me! lol